Recent News

June 2024 Eagle Scout Project

During the early months of 2024, Rohan Modi, a Life Scout with Boy Scout Troop 5, met with Center Street Cemetery sexton Robert Devaney to discuss a proposed Eagle Project for the downtown cemetery. The goal of the project would be to make known the history of five prominent men of early Wallingford.
After designing a plan and receiving approval, a team of approximately fifteen scouts, under Rohan’s leadership, took on the task of researching Moses Y. Beach, John Brockett, Lyman Hall, William P.(Tony) Smith, and Samuel Whittlesey using materials found at the Wallingford Historical Society along with other historical resources. Each history is showcased in a wooden frame behind Plexiglas.
Then came the construction phase… several scouts were assigned to each location and were taught to use a post hole digger, add cement and set a wooden post which stands about 6 feet high. Upon this post, the framed history was mounted. Each of these frames is located alongside the designated gravestone and can be easily found by using the map on display at the South Orchard St. entrance to the cemetery. See pictures below and also at the Pictures link.

April 13, 2024 Celebration of Lyman Hall’s 300th Birthday

In honor of the 300th birthday of Lyman Hall, the Wallingford Historical Society (WHS) held a celebration at the Center Street Cemetery. At the age of 52, in 1776, our native son signed the Declaration of Independence for the Colony of Georgia and became the first Post-Revolutionary Governor of Georgia.

A ceremonial procession was led by the Company 8 Color Guard to the Lyman Hall Monument, followed by a welcome from the cemetery sexton Bob Devaney and a presentation of the National Anthem was sung by Lisa Zolkiewicz. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by the Honorable Vincent Cervoni, who read a mayoral proclamation honoring Lyman Hall and then our 85th District Representative Mary Mushinsky read a second proclamation sent from the State of Georgia.

Next William Dickinson Jr. in full costume, presented “A Smuggler’s Tale,” the history of seafaring in the 1700s and how it supported the Revolutionary War. Then Catharine (Cate) Beaumont, Tamzen (Tammy) Beaumont Kelly and Jennifer Passaretti from the Daughters of the American Revolution, in colonial attire, stood alongside the memorial gravestone as WHS President Robert Beaumont took on the role of Lyman Hall and wove the life story of Wallingford’s most famous son. During and at the close of the program a patriotic accompaniment was provided by the Yalesville Fife and Drum Corps. Closing remarks were given by Bob Devaney. (Pictures below and also on the “Pictures” link) or watch on You Tube at

Daughters of the American Revolution

The Susan Carrington Clarke chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution held a ceremony to unveil a bronze marker on each of the two direct daughters of Revolutionary soldiers who are buried in Center Street. They are Maria Ives Parker, daughter of Ichabod Ives, who is buried 100 yards west of her, and Ann Tyler Beaumont, whose father is buried in Mill Plain Cemetery in Branford, just up the street from his house. The ceremony began at Lyman Hall’s monument with the 2nd Company Governor’s Foot Guard standing at attention while the Star-Spangled Banner was played  by the Yalesville Ancient Fife and Drum Corps. Jen Passaretti, the Regent of the Susan Carrington Clarke chapter, presented the opening remarks, followed by Robert Beaumont speaking in the role of Lyman Hall. There was a wreath laying for both Lyman Hall and Ichabod Ives. In addition to the unveiling at each daughter’s grave, there was a brief narrative by a descendant about the daughter and her family. (Pictures below and also on the “Pictures” link)

Grave marker for Maria Ives Parker; Portrait of a Daughter by Olivia Marie Chilson, Descendant

Grave marker for Ann Tyler Beaumont: Portrait of a Daughter by Tammy (Beaumont) Kelly, Descendant

Medals of Recognition awarded by Regent Jen Passaretto, SCC Chapter of the DAR, to Robert Devaney (L) and Robert Beaumont (R) for their contributions to the history of Wallingford.

D.A.R. Inductions June 3, 2023

On June 3rd, the Center Street Cemetery hosted the induction of three new daughters to the Susan Carrington Clarke chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Jen Passaretti, the Regent Chair of the Susan Carrington Clarke chapter inducted the three cousins into the D.A.R. Catharine (Cate) Beaumont, Tamzen (Tammy) Beaumont Kelly and Mary Ellen Kingsland Eckels are descended from different Revolutionary War soldiers. Cate and Tammy’s 3rd great-grandfather, John Tyler, during the course of the war from 1775 to 1781, served in four different Companies, while another 3rd great-grandfather, Deodate Beaumont served on the ship Alliance. Mary Ellen’s 5th great-grandfather, Col. Thaddeus Cook served under General Gates. All three soldiers (John Tyler, Deodate Beaumont, Thaddeus Cook) are buried in the Center Street Cemetery. Prior to the ceremony, Bob Beaumont, a vice president of the cemetery, gave a brief tour starting at Lyman Hall’s monument and continuing to include a number of the founders and early settlers of our fair town.


Induction to the DAR by Jen Passaretti


Catharine (Cate) Beaumont, Tamzen (Tammy) Beaumont Kelly and Mary Ellen Kingsland Eckels

Cemetery VP Bob Beaumont gives tour



Past Center Street Cemetery News


Interesting Stories from the Earlier Times